Monday, February 15, 2010

Harry Potter

has officially made his way to Thailand. In my Thai peer tutoring session with a student here, she asked me if my middle name was my father's name, as they don't have middle names here and she was wondering how it worked. I thought she was talking about maternity, paternity things, as in some cultures your mother might actually pass her last name down to you or something. I answered that most everyone takes their father's last name as their own, and some parents may make your mother's maiden name your middle name, or come up with some other tribute to a family member. She looked a tad confused, and then explained. "I thought that you all had your father's name as your middle name, like Harry James Potter- you know his father's name was James."

Most harmless generalized about all English speaking people ever. Love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment